How to Create a Metal Guitar Tone Using Free Software
1. First download the following plugins:
- TSE808 – https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tse808
- LePoulin le456 – http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Le456&id=963
- STL NadIR – https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-ignite-emissary-plug-in-bundle
- Custom Impulse Response – IR Download (Right Click and Save As)
2. Create a new audio track in your DAW and insert the TSE808 plugin. Use similar settings shown below, adjust the input level according to your guitar output volume.
3. Insert LePoulin le456 after the TSE808 and match the settings shown below.
4. Insert STL NadIR and load this impulse response that can be downloaded from the top of this guide, match the settings shown below.
Every guitar and guitar pickup sounds different so you are unlikely to achieve the exact same sound as demonstrated but this will give you a foundation to build a usable guitar tone for recording. Tweak the LE456 until you are happy with what you hear!